Badin Hall is one of the 30 Residence Halls on the campus of the University of Notre Dame and one of the 14 female dorms. it is located on South Quad, between Howard Hall and the Coleman-Morse center. Badin Hall is, along with other building on the Main Quad of Notre Dame, on the National Register of Historic Places. It was named after Fr. Stephen Badin, the first priest ordained in the US.HistoryConstruction and early yearsBefore the main building of the University burned down in the great fire of 1879, it hosted a Manual Labor School, that was moved after the fire in a location close to the present Walsh Hall. A few years later, it was moved on wheels to the present location of Badin Hall. The temporary structure was substituted with brick structure and renamed St. Joseph Hall, and hosted the St. Joseph's Industrial School' and was open in November 1897. It was intended to open before the start of the school year, but it did not happen because of a delay in construction. the first floor contained private rooms, a reading room, and a refectory, while the second floor contained classrooms, a study hall, and rooms for prefects. A wide staircase led to the third floor, that was used entirely as dormitory. The first director of the new St. Joseph Hall was Rev. Gallagher, who arranged improvements to the rooms and set up a chapel where Mass was said, and he provided to get newspapers and magazines for the boy's free moments. Once enrolled, young men trained to be blacksmiths, bricklayers, carpenters, farmers, and tailors. The goods produced where used by University personnel, and some where sold in South Bend shops.