Christian Brothers High School is located in Memphis, Tennessee, at 5900 Walnut Grove Road. It is an all-male college preparatory school and Catholic school that has a Lasallian tradition that can be traced back to John Baptist de La Salle.HistoryFoundingThe school was founded as Christian Brothers College on November 19, 1871, by members of the Institute of the Brothers of the Christian Schools, a Roman Catholic religious teaching congregation. The Brothers came to Memphis at the request of the people and clergy of the city, after more than a decade of efforts to persuade the Brothers to open a college in Memphis. Christian Brothers High School remains the oldest all-boys educational institution in the city of Memphis.Brother Maurelian was appointed the first president. During his presidency, which lasted 33 years, the Brothers purchased the 612 Adams Street building, which housed the college until 1940 when the school moved to its present location at Central Avenue and East Parkway South. Functioning as a combined elementary school, high school, and college, Christian Brothers College granted high school diplomas, Bachelor's and Master's Degrees until 1915, when the college division was suspended.Elementary classes were dropped in 1922, and the institution operated as only a high school for 18 years. In 1940, the college opened again as a junior college and began granting Associate's Degrees in 1942. Several years later in 1965 the high school left the college campus and moved to a new campus located at 5900 Walnut Grove Rd. in East Memphis. At that point it became known as Christian Brothers High School. The college is now known as Christian Brothers University, and is still on East Parkway.