|Über uns||Dedicated to the history of Girard High Indians dating back to its origin in 1861|
|Mission||To preserve the memories of the Girard High Indians, the various School structures, the great alumni and dedicated teachers of GHS who have walked the Halls of Education of GHS.|
The first school in the village of Girard was build in July 24, 1861 and which became the City of Girard. The Union School was constructed on land donated by David Tod on the site named Jefferson Square. it was bounded by Kline Street on the North, Main Street on the South, Market Street to the East and High Street on the the West. It is now the site of the present Girard Municipal Building and Court House. The Union School was abandoned when the first Girard High School, or GHS, was constructed in 1887 at the corner of Wilson Avenue and State Street.
In 1891 the Union School became the first Girard Town Hall. The Wilson Avenue School was the first official Girard High School and was GHS until the Ward Avenue building, the second GHS, was constructed in 1923. Fast forward to 2010 and the third GHS was completed in time to start classes in the Fall of 2010 on land purchased from the retired Girard High School teachers, the Gifford sisters, Irma & Stella, on Shannon Road and the intersection of Beaver Street. The Ward Avenue building was then demolished completely in February 2011.
For all the pictures of the demolishing in progress visit the Facebook page as follows:
|Gegründet||Origins dated back to The Union School, July 24, 1861|