Grosse Pointe South High School , commonly called South, or "The High", is one of two public high schools located in the Grosse Pointes, suburban cities adjacent to Detroit, Michigan. At the corner of Fisher Road and Grosse Pointe Blvd. in Grosse Pointe Farms, it is a part of the Grosse Pointe Public School System .Grosse Pointe High School, the first public high school in the area, opened its doors in 1928. It became Grosse Pointe South High School in 1967 when the board of education created Grosse Pointe North High School. In 1993, Grosse Pointe South was added to the National Register of Historic Places for its significance in architecture, art, and education. The school anchors one of Grosse Pointe's most historically significant neighborhoods, known as the Beverly Road Historic District. Grosse Pointe Memorial Church, Christ Church Grosse Pointe, and Père Gabriel Richard Elementary School are within two blocks of Grosse Pointe South.HistoryGrosse Pointe High SchoolThe construction of The Grosse Pointe High School in 1928 marked an important transition in the history of this area along the shores of Lake St. Clair. Grosse Pointe's move away from its farming roots began after the American Civil War, when wealthy Detroit businessmen purchased much of the lakefront property for summer homes. By 1900, year-round mansions were rapidly replacing seasonal residences, and a sense of community began to form.