The National Gallery for Foreign Art of Bulgaria was a gallery located on St. Alexander Nevsky Square in Sofia. It served as the country's national institution for non-Bulgarian art. It was situated in the 19th-century Neoclassic edifice of the former Royal Printing Office.HistoryThe edifice of the NGFA was built between 1882 and 1884 during the rule of knyaz Alexander Battenberg to the designs of Austrian architect Friedrich Schwanberg and reconstructed after it suffered significant damage during the bombing of Sofia in World War II. The gallery itself was founded on 5 November 1985 as the art gallery of the Sts. Cyril and Methodius Foundation, its stock being later enlarged by donations, as well as by the addition of the National Art Gallery's foreign art section.A large portion of the donations were made through the "13th Centuries of Bulgarian Statehood" fund, established by Lyudmila Zhivkova in the 1980s.Since May 2015, collections of the National Gallery for Foreign Art are exhibited together with the 19th and 20th century collections of the National Art Gallery. For this purpose, the building on Alexander Nevsky Square was enlarged. The resulting exhibition space is known as National Gallery Square 500.CollectionsThe gallery's permanent exposition features European, Asian (Buddhist, Japanese and Indian) and African art, as well as separate contemporary art and engraving sections. Some of the works are in restoration, while others are in stock but not displayed due to the lack of space.