The Princess Alexandra Hospital is a major Australian teaching hospital of the University of Queensland, located in Brisbane, Queensland. It is a tertiary level teaching hospital with all major medical and surgical specialities onsite except for obstetrics, gynaecology and paediatrics. It has a catchment population of 1.6 million people with 780 beds and 5,800 full-time equivalent staff. In 2005, the hospital received Magnet Recognition.The hospital is located on Ipswich Road in Woolloongabba, an inner-city suburb of Brisbane.HistoryThe hospital is built on the site of the 1883 Diamantina Orphanage, named after Diamantina Bowen, wife of the first Governor of Queensland. In 1901, it became Diamantina Hospital for Chronic Diseases. In 1943, it became the South Brisbane Auxiliary Hospital and then the South Brisbane Hospital in 1956.In 1959, it became the Princess Alexandra Hospital and was opened by and named after HRH Princess Alexandra, to mark the Centennial of Queensland. In 2000, a new building was opened to replace the ageing red-brick hospital complex built in the 1950s.UnitsQueensland's spinal injuries unit and the liver and kidney transplantation services are based at the hospital. The Cardiothoracic Surgery Unit opened in 1998. In the following years the unit performed more than 10,000 operations.