The Sam Houston State University School of Music exists as a community of musician-educators whose mission is:
* To educate and train students for lives of service and contribution—as teachers, performers, composers, therapists and scholars;
* To provide and nurture a nucleus of musical life for the larger community;
* To educate the university student population regarding music’s intrinsic value as a part of the human experience and its central role in human culture; and
* To mutually encourage one another in professional growth and attainment
Our mission encompasses a variety of programs and curricula, traditional and innovative which are regularly examined for effectiveness, quality and relevance. It includes our commitment to a combination of:
* Classroom studies in music and
* The live performance of music, individually and collectively, as central to music study, development and knowledge.
As an integral part of our mission, we commit ourselves to continuing steps toward realizing the full potential of community, both as teachers and as colleagues; further, we commit to interaction with our students that emphasizes personal attention and interest in their total musical/intellectual development.
The School of Music is getting connected!!
We've joined the social networking world to keep our alumni, prospective and current students, parents, Friends of Music and faculty/staff up-to-date on all the happenings within our School of Music.
Like this page to stay well-informed about:
- Upcoming Performances
- Friends of Music
- Audition dates
- Guest artists
- Job postings
- and much, much more!