|Über uns||The Sorrento Fire Brigade is a volunteer Fire Brigade of the Country Fire Authority Victoria (C.F.A)|
|Mission||To protect lives and property.|
Sorrento Urban Fire Brigade
(A brief history.)
Sorrento Urban Fire Brigade was first formed in January 1941. The official Certificate of registration with the then
Country Fire Brigades Board registers Sorrento as Brigade number 173 on the 29th• of January 1941.
The first official meeting of the Brigade was held on February the 4th.where Mr. Keith Morris ( a former Fireman from Frankston.) was elected Captain, Mr. Bill White, Lieutenant, Mr Henry Taiton Foreman, Mr. Percy Watson Apparatus Officer and
Mr Clarrie Meredith as Secretary. The Captain, Lieutenant and Secretary held these positions for more than twenty years.
The Fire Station was a garage in George Street, Sorrento rented from Mr. Henry Wilson for two shillings and six pence a week.
This is presently the site of a green grocery store. The bell tower stood on the land opposite, where the Commonwealth Bank is now situated. There were no electric sirens in those days and the Brigade was turned out by the ringing of the bell.
This same bell is now located in a prominent position at the front of the present Fire Station.
In July 1944 a new temporary Fire Station was erected on the spot where our Meeting Room now stands in Hayes Avenue.
Most will remember it as a fibro-cement sheet shed.
At this time the bell tower complete with bell was moved by Mr, Ed Goss to approximately where the present hose drying
tower now stands. An electric siren with a two mile range was purchased by the Brigade in 1969 and installed on the tower.
All fire calls were communicated to the Brigade by telephone through the manual exchange, very different to today’s modern
electronic systems. While in this temporary accommodation a new fire station was built on the present site by the McClean
The brigade started off with a trailer pump as its first appliance. The first man there with a suitable vehicle towed the trailer to
the fire scene. This unit was soon updated with a Bedford fire truck on which the men