|Über uns||We are the UP System’s Center that addresses concerns and issues involving women and the LGBT in our university and society.|
Established in December 1988 to encourage and strengthen teaching, research, extension and advocacy on and for women in the university, the University Center for Women’s Studies is a system-wide unit under the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs of the University of the Philippines. It coordinates the women’s/gender studies programs and some service facilities of the nine campuses in Manila, Diliman, Baguio, Los Baños, the Visayas, Mindanao and the Open University.
The Center has five major programs, namely research, publication, curriculum development, training and outreach, and the services–crisis counseling and day care facility. Among its tasks as a system unit, is the coordination of the collection of data from the campuses that are related to the implementation of the Anti-Sexual Harassment policy of the University, the efforts in engendering the curricula, and research on women’s/gender issues
The objectives of the UPCWS are:
• To create and sharpen awareness of women’s and gender issues in the University as well as in the larger society;
• To encourage and strengthen teaching, research, extension and advocacy programs on and for women;
• To strengthen and vitalize multi- and interdisciplinary programs in women’s studies;
• To initiate the integration of gender concepts in academic curricula;
• To promote incentives for, and the recognition of, women’s achievements and contribution to national development and gender consciousness;
• To provide an organizational umbrella within UP for university-wide activities in women’s/gender studies.