Zahm Hall, also known as Zahm House is one of the 30 residence halls on the campus of the University of Notre Dame and one of 16 male dorms. Zahm Hall was built in 1937 and is located directly north of St. Edward's Hall and is directly south of North Quad. Zahm Hall 202 undergraduate students, its mascot is Ignats the moose, and its residents are called Zahmbies. The coat of arms is black and red, the colors of Zahm, and the interlaced pattern represents both the Z and the X, symbols of the hall, and the antlers of the moose, the mascot of the hall. The residents of Zahm refer to it as Zahm House.HistoryZahm Hall was built in 1937 and dedicated to Rev. John Augustine Zahm, CSC. Zahm was a priest, naturalist and scientist at Notre Dame, and was the pioneer of the study of natural sciences at the University. He also is well known for his work on reconciling Christian thought and evolution. He was a close friend of President Theodore Roosevelt and accompanied his in the Roosevelt-Rondon Scientific Expedition to South America. During World War II, Zahm Hall hosted naval officers.