|About||Welcome to the Official website of the 31st Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Nuclear (CBRN) Brigade.|
|Mission||The 31st CBRN BDE and their subordinate units have had numerous wartime deployments and have received many awards for their meritorious service during the Global War on Terrorism. For the past 134 years, units of the present day 31st Chemical (DIXIE) Brigade have served both Alabama and the United States.”|
The 31st Chemical Brigade, headquartered in Tuscaloosa, Alabama is the only major chemical organization located in the State of Alabama. The 31st Chemical Brigade has existed with its present configuration, designation and capability for the past 6 years. Some of its subordinate elements can trace their lineage back over 140 years.
For example, the Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 31st Chemical Brigade can trace its lineage to “Captain Rodes” Company of Alabama Volunteers, “The Warrior Guards,” which was mustered into Confederate service May 5, 1861 as Company H, 5th Alabama Infantry. The Headquarters Company underwent a series of redesignations and assignments beginning in 1865 as the Alabama Volunteer Militia; the 2nd Alabama Volunteer Infantry; the 4th Infantry and 167th Infantry; the 77th Infantry Brigade, 39th Division; the 61st Infantry Brigade and 62nd Infantry Brigade, 31st Division; the 200th Infantry Regiment; the 2d Brigade, 31st Infantry Division; the 31st Brigade, 30th Armored Division; the 31st Separate Armored Brigade; and the 122nd Chemical Brigade. On 30 September 2002 it was designated as HQS and HQS Detachment, 31st Chemical Brigade. The Brigade proudly wears the patch, and continues the lineage, of the 31st Infantry Division.
The 31st Infantry Division was organized at Camp Wheeler, Georgia, in October of 1917. Almost from the beginning, it was known as the Dixie Division, a fitting name for a unit whose regiments and artillery came from Alabama and other “Deep South” States. During World War I the 31st Division became a replacement Division, and most of its personnel were thrown in the front lines of the American Expeditionary Forces. The 31st Division returned to the United States in December of 1919 for demobilization. In 1923 the 31st Division was reorganized as a National Guard Division, with component units located in Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, and Mississippi.
For participation in World War II, the 31st Dixie Division was f
|Founded||May 5, 1861|