|Work hours||Add information|
|About||Welcome to the official Facebook account of No 99 Squadron. Home of the UK's Strategic Airlift capability, the C-17 Globemaster. Each Tenacious.|
No 99 Squadron was formed on 15 August 1917 at Yatesbury, Wiltshire, from a nucleus supplied by No 13 Training Squadron, Royal Flying Corps. In April 1918, the squadron was equipped mainly with De Havilland DH9 aircraft, and was deployed to France to operate as a light bomber squadron. The squadron took part in seventy-six strategic bombing missions directed at German industrial targets for the remainder of the First World War. In September 1918, the squadron was re-supplied with DH9A bombers and in May 1919 was deployed to India to take part in aerial policing duties over India's Northwest Frontier. On April 1920, the squadron was disbanded by being renumbered to No 27 Squadron.
In 1924, No 99 Squadron reformed at Netheravon in Wiltshire and was equipped initially with the Vickers Vimy heavy bomber, and then the Avro Aldershot single-engined. These aircraft were replaced in succession by Avro's Hyderabad, Hinaidi and, in 1933, the Avro Heyford. During 1938 the squadron converted to the Vickers Wellington bomber, an aircraft it would operate for the majority of the Second World War.
On 8 September 1939, No 99 Squadron entered WW II with the first of many leaflet-dropping missions over Germany. The first bombing raids were launched on 17 April 1940 during the German invasion of Norway. European bombing operations continued until January 1942 when, once again, the squadron was deployed to India. From its base at Digri, No 99 Squadron commenced night bombing raids against Japanese targets in Burma. In September 1944, the squadron received its first American-manufactured aircraft, the Consolidated Liberator VI long-range bomber. Equipped with this new aircraft, in July 1945 the squadron deployed from Dhubalia to the Cocos Islands in preparation for the possible invasion of Malaya. In November 1945, following the Japanese surrender, No 99 Squadron was disbanded.
In 1949, No 99 Squadron reformed as a transport squadron equipped with Avro Yorks based at RAF Lyneham, and