Historic School in Agnes, Springtown Texas is being restored for a community center for historical, educational classes, events, and musical gatherings.
This stone schoolhouse was built in 1927, after the previous wooden 2 story schoolhouse burned down. This three room schoolhouse housed elementary, middle, and high school under one roof until the school was consolidated with Springtown ISD in 1946. The Agnes Community Association was created in 1946 as the building was then dedicated to the community. Various ventures through the years have been held in the building, notable bluegrass and country hootennannys for over 20 years. Interest and activities began to fade, though considerable efforts began in the 1990s, including replacing the entire roof. After further decline, the doors were closed in 2010 until a small group of people met in 2016 to begin restoring the building and again hosting community events. The Association has received non profit 501.3c status with the IRS in 2017. We desire to restore the building to preserve the history while providing interesting, relevant, and hands-on learning to teach history to people of all ages.
5406 Agnes Circle, Springtown (TX), 76082, United States