|Work hours||Add information|
Welcome to the Anglican/Episcopal Church, Tripoli, Libya; The Diocese of Egypt with North Africa and the Horn of Africa!
Come and be Blessed!
The Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli (Our Lady of Angels)
(The Anglican Church of Christ the King)
Welcome to the Church of Santa Maria degli Angeli, now used by the Anglican/Episcopal Church of the province of Jerusalem and the Middle East. This building finds its place and existence in the rich and tumultuous history of African Christianity and in particular of North African Christianity. With names like St. Mark, Tertullian, Athanasius, Perpetua, Felicitas and Augustine contributing to this history one should be aware that there is more represented here than meets the eye. Not only was Libya the home of Simon of Cyrene who carried the cross for Jesus, Mk. 15:21, it is also the probable birth place of the gospel writer St. Mark whose mother, Mary, provided a meeting place for the first Christians, Acts 12:12. Further, the presence of people from Libya in Jerusalem on the Day of Pentecost about the year 30, Acts 2:10, and in the early church, Acts 11:20, as well as the near shipwreck of the boat carrying the Apostle Paul to Malta off the coast of Libya, Acts 27:17, add to the picture of Libyan history in the early days of Christianity. This is the ultimate historical background of this building.
The existence of this site, though only indirectly related to those early New Testament events and to the remains of other church ruins in Libya from Byzantine times, is more directly related to the clash of civilizations that occurred in the Middle Ages and its repercussions. About the year 1680 the Apostolic Prefect of the Roman Catholic Church in Tripoli received a gift of land in what is now the Old City that he allocated to the Franciscan Order which he then invited to Tripoli to care for the captives taken in the struggle for the control of the Mediterranean Sea. The property was developed to include a hospice and a chapel dedicated to “Our Lady of the Angels.”
With time the foreign Christian community grew so that on 14th of Sept. 1703 a stone was laid to d