A Church of Grace, Family, Hospitality, and Service. Dr. Byron T. Brazier - Pastor
The chief purpose of the Apostolic Church of God is to glorify God, who has given us the highest revelation of Himself in the Person of Jesus Christ. In glorifying God, we enter into public worship services, seeking to give fitting expression to our profound and dedicated commitment to our Lord Jesus Christ, who loved us and gave Himself for us. In our worship service we find a meaningful awareness of His presence with us, and we respond to this awareness with adoration and praise.
Our worship includes the preaching and teaching of the gospel concerning the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ, so as to enlighten the conscience to the holiness of God, to feed the mind with the truth of God, and to open the heart to the matchless grace of God. In our service to Christ, we are to call sinners to repentance, lift the fallen, visit the sick, uplift and maintain the highest standards of morality, and urge all believers to seek a Spirit-filled life.
It is essential that we nourish and cultivate the Christian lives of our parishioners; that we concern ourselves with giving aid and comfort to the poor, to work for better living conditions in society in general, and in our community in particular. In order to effectuate this purpose, the ministries and auxiliaries of the Apostolic Church of God were founded.
In the Beginning...
In 1931, Elder Walter M. Clemons felt the call to start a new church. So, he rented the space on the third floor of a building at 8 West 57th St., and on Sunday, January 17, 1932, the Apostolic Church of God (ACOG) became a reality. The church's membership began to grow under the young minister's pastorate, and the church moved to 6344 South Kimbark Avenue in 1952.
A Time for Change...
Elder Clemons died in April 1959, but the congregation continued under the pastorate of Elder Ahart Medders, assisted by Elder Robert McGee Sr. Around the same time, another church, the Universal Church of Christ led by Reverend Arthur M. Brazier, held services in the same location as ACOG. Elder Medders did not remain pastor for long, and ACOG soon found itself again without a shepherd. Then, in 1960, assistant pastor Robert McGee Sr. and Deacon Gerald Nuckolls Sr. asked Reverend Brazier if he would consider becoming the pastor of ACOG. Reverend Brazier accepted, bringing along his congregation. The two churches merged, bringing a total active membership to approximately 100 parishioners. Following is a timeline of the growth thereafter:
1977-The congregation of 500 members raised enough money to build a new church edifice at 63rd & Kenwood Avenue, and the church began to grow rapidly.
1983-As a result of the tremendous growth of the church membership, Apostolic Church of God expanded its existing church edifice.
1992-Apostolic Church of God expanded again, building a 3000-seat sanctuary and adding classrooms, offices, and television control facilities at 63rd & Dorchester Avenue.
1998-The congregation completed the construction of yet another expansion, adding a 37,000 square-foot wing onto the church, including a state-of-the-art banquet hall and a second floor of meeting rooms for classes and programming activities.
2007-The Youth and Family Center opened in October, adding much needed space for youth and family-oriented ministry activities. The Center
|Founded||Establish in 1937|