|Work hours||Add information|
|About||APPLE (Alternative Parent Participating Learning Experience) is an alternative school program operated within TVDSB at Arthur Ford Public School.|
APPLE recognizes the differences in individual learning style, pace of learning and developmental needs of children and strives to provide a range of opportunities within the curriculum to reflect this diversity. Children will experience a joy of learning in a curriculum enhanced by the personal expertise of parents in collaboration with teachers and administration. This helps to foster a community of lasting relationships and promote critical thinking skills and knowledge, creativity and personal development.
* Parental participation and cooperative planning in each class increases opportunities for individual student support and an enhanced classroom environment.
* Parent’s, Teachers and Administration collaborate to nurture a sense of community between home and school.
* A community atmosphere of acceptance and belonging provides students with a sense of security and personal worth as well as teaching them to respect and care for others.
* Children’s natural curiosity and inclination to learn is supported through an integrated curriculum where children are actively involved in a program that incorporates learning centers, teacher led experiences and individualized support for each child.
* Child – centered learning experiences reflect the strengths, needs and interests of the group and of individual children, and provide each child with a sense of competence and success.
* Collaborative groupings within and among classes and age groups foster the skills of leadership and shared responsibility, which make for well-rounded students who feel comfortable in the leadership and learning roles of their lives.
* Group learning experiences promote co-operation and collaboration, encouraging children to assist and support each other in the learning experience.
* Experiences beyond the classroom are valued as an integral part of a dynamic and diverse curriculum.
APPLE, an acronym for Alternative Parent Participating Learning Experience, is a program in which teachers, parents and children collaborate together for one sole purpose – enhancing the children’s educational experience.
APPLE students are part of the Thames Valley District School Board family at Arthur Ford Public School and follow the curriculum as mandated by the Ministry of Education of Ontario. The difference is that the families of the students in our program commit to spend a minimum of 10 hours a month volunteering in a variety of ways which serve to enhance their children’s education. There is no extra cost but the rewards are great.
Benefits of the APPLE Program include a supportive community, social events with other APPLE families, additional funding for enhanced classroom activities and field trips.
Parent participation in the classroom has always been the backbone of our program, it provides a substantial enrichment of the APPLE classroom environment, and significant opportunities for close interactions between APPLE parents and students.
It is the intensity of this involvement, the proximity which APPLE parents have to the daily life of the classroom and the level of engagement that APPLE parents have with other members of this community that sets APPLE apart from other alternative schools
When parents are involved in the education of their child(ren), the academic performance of their child(ren) typically improves.
The APPLE Program is open to all school districts and spaces are available for select grades and on the wait list for all grades and future start years.
For a more in depth understanding of the APPLE Program and the long term influences of parent participation on APPLE Program students, you can view the Interpretive Study here: http://appleprogram.ca/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/Thesis.pdf