We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Archbishop's Palace, Armagh

Archbishop's Palace, Armagh

Armagh, United Kingdom

Get Directions

+44 28 3752 9629

Add link to website

Categories
Work hours Add information
Description The Archbishop’s Palace in Armagh, Northern Ireland, is a landmark Neo-Classical building located on 300 acres of parkland just south of the centre of the city. The building served as primary residence of the Church of Ireland Archbishops of Armagh for over two hundred years, from 1770 to 1975, and thereafter as headquarters of Armagh City and District Council from then until 2015 when that local authority was replaced following the reform of local government in Northern Ireland in that year.The Palace was built when then Archbishop Richard Robinson sought to relocate the principal residence of the archbishops from Drogheda to the titular city of his office. Armagh native Francis Johnston, who also designed Dublin’s General Post Office and the archway at the King's Inns, and Thomas Cooley, also a noted architect of the time and designer of Dublin’s Royal Exchange both had an important role in designing the building. The palace currently sits at the centre of the Palace Demesne Public Park, and serves as the office of the Lord Mayor of Armagh, Banbridge, and Craigavon Borough.

Similar places nearby