Sunday Divine Liturgy Schedule:
9 am (Ukrainian)
11 am (English)
10 am (Holy Days)
For parish office hours, auditorium rental details, cultural event dates, and other information, please visit our website at: www.abvmcalgary.com
To be a Christian community united in a common Ukrainian Greek Catholic faith. We are to embrace traditional worship, promote the spiritual growth of youth and faithful, and willingly share our faith with others.
The purpose of the Parish is to be a unified community of Ukrainian Greek Catholic believers who encourage each other’s personal, spiritual, and cultural growth in an environment where everyone shares their God given talents for the greater good and benefit of the Parish.
Furthermore, the purpose of the Parish is extended to encompass the mission statement of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton: The faithful of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton are called to joyfully live the life taught by the Risen Christ, reaching out with love and proclaiming the good news to all people for the glory of God.
Who are we? The Parish is under the jurisdiction of the Ukrainian Catholic Eparchy of Edmonton, which serves over 30,000 faithful in Alberta. The Ukrainian Catholic Church, known in Ukraine as the Greek-Catholic Church, has been in union with the Pope of Rome since 1596 and is one of the several distinct rites of the Universal Catholic Church. Globally, the Ukrainian Catholic Church has over five million faithful and is established in over twelve countries. The Patriarchal Seat of the Ukrainian Catholic Church was recently returned to Kyiv, Ukraine, after being situated in L’viv, Ukraine for several centuries.
During the Soviet era, the Ukrainian Catholic Church was outlawed, which resulted in a period of horrific persecution. Ukrainian Catholics continued to exist underground for decades, largely supported by the already established and flourishing Ukrainian Catholic Community in North America. The Ukrainian Catholic Church in Ukraine attained legalisation in December 1989. As a result of the Ukrainian Catholic Church’s tumultuous past, we are commonly referred to as the ‘Church of Martyrs’. In 2001, Saint John Paul II, during his historic papal visit to Ukraine, beatified twenty-eight new Martyrs of the Ukrainian Catholic Church, recognising the significant sacrifices made during this period of history.
BACKGROUND: Ukrainians began settling in the Calgary community in the early 1900s and organised themselves into a Parish community by 1910, under the patronage of St. Stephen. The Parish was officially incorporated in 1912. The first Church building, constructed in 1911-1912, was situated in the north-east Calgary community of Tuxedo, where it also served as a house of worship for St Joseph’s Roman Catholic Parish. In 1926, the building was physically relocated to the Calgary community of Bridgeland on the corner of 1st Avenue and 6th Street NE.
Following an influx of post-war immigrants from Ukraine and migrants from other parts of Canada, it became apparent