|About||Nonprofit, accredited environmental learning center that offers residential K-12, college, summer camp, family camp, adult and Road Scholar programs. Charter School Authorizer and conference & retreat center.|
To instill a connection and commitment to the environment in people of all communities through experiential learning
A healthy planet where all people live in balance with the Earth
• We demonstrate respect, care and passion for the Earth, all people and all living things
• We strive for excellence in everything we do through integrity, open communication and teamwork
• Individuals are valued, engaged and appreciated for their
• We believe in life-long learning through positive shared experiences with the natural world
• Our efforts encourage others to recognize their interconnectedness with the Earth through their actions
The Audubon Center of the North Woods (ACNW) is a non-profit environmental learning center on Grindstone Lake near Sandstone, MN.
We offer a wide variety of environmental learning experiences for people of all ages, with programming in natural history and science, team-building, energy, adventure programming, and outdoor/environmental education. ACNW provides award-winning environmental education experiences for thousands of K-12 students from across the Midwest for residential and day-use experiences.
ACNW is also a retreat and conference center - the perfect venue for your group’s meeting, conference, retreat, reunion or getaway. Our beautiful lakeside property, convenient central location and year-round facilities are ideal for any size group. The quiet beauty of nature that surrounds us on our 635-acre sanctuary and range of offerings at ACNW makes us the ideal spot for gatherings, large or small. We have lodging, dining and meeting facilities for over 162 participants, centerwide WiFi, A/V capabilities and a range of program options to take your gathering to the next level.
ACNW also offers:
• Family and youth camps throughout the year
• Community and adult programs throughout the year, including Dinners at the Lake and our Maple Syruping Day and Women's Wellness Weekends
• Roadscholar® programs (designed for people 55 and older) with on-site and off-site programs; our post-secondary programs
• College programs - we serve as a field campus for Hamline University and several community colleges in Minnesota
ACNW also is an authorizer of 34 Minnesota Charter Schools and 8,000 students. As an authorizer, we are able to work with the schools to provide the students with the best educational experience possible and deliver our mission on a more effective and progressive basis. We are the only authorizer in the country that requires environmental education to be part of every student's curriculum in our schools.
As a leader in renewable energy and conservat
2012-Named Best Nature Weekend Retreat by MN Star Tribune
2009- Named Official Best of Environmental Education in Minnesota
2006- Named Outstanding Service to EE Organization- Regional Level by the North American Association for Environmental Education
1995 – Receives accreditation as a school by North Central Association
1979- Named one of the top ten environmental education centers in the U.S. by the New York Times
|Products||Visit our Nature Gift Shop for a wide variety of ACNW signature clothing and materials, as well as our very own pure maple syrup, maple balsalmic vinaigrette dressing, and signature coffees.|