Bingley railway station serves the town of Bingley in West Yorkshire, England, and is 13.5mi away from Leeds and 5.5mi away from Bradford Forster Square on the Airedale line operated by Northern.HistoryThe Leeds and Bradford Railway opened the Leeds and Bradford Extension Railway from Shipley to Keighley on 16 March 1847. Bingley station opened on the first day, and remained the only intermediate station until Saltaire was built in 1856.The original station, near the Three Rise Lock, was originally of wood, but the Midland Railway (who had absorbed the L&BR in 1851) closed the old station and opened the current station on 24 July 1892.The bog north of Bingley station was a headache to the railway builders. It is recorded in the Bradford Observer of 8 March 1847 that "no fewer than 100,000 cubic yards of solid earth and stone have been poured into this insatiable maw of a bog." The bog has also claimed some of Bingley Grammar School's buildings and the sinking may have given rise to an urban legend about a locomotive and wagons been swallowed up by the bog. No evidence can be found to attest to this.