We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Bishop Gore School

Bishop Gore School

De la Beche Road, Swansea, SA2 9, United Kingdom

Get Directions

01792 411 400

Categories
Now CLOSED
Work hours
MO 08:30 – 16:00 SA closed
TU 08:30 – 16:00 SU closed
WE 08:30 – 16:00
TH 08:30 – 16:00
FR 08:30 – 16:00
Description The Bishop Gore School is a secondary school in Swansea in Wales, founded on 14 September 1682 by Hugh Gore, Bishop of Waterford and Lismore. It is situated in Sketty, close to Singleton Park and Swansea University. In December 2013 the school was ranked in the second highest of five bands by the Welsh Government, based on performance in exams, value added performance, disadvantaged pupils' performance, and attendance.HistoryGrammar schoolEstablished as a Free Grammar School, initially in Goat Street, for "the gratuitous instruction of twenty boys, sons of the most indigent burgesses, and in the event of a dissolution of the corporation, to sons of the poorest inhabitants of the town", it has since known several names and locations. In September 1853 the school moved, as the boys-only Swansea Grammar School, to Mount Pleasant into a new building designed by the architect Thomas Taylor. The building was extended in 1869 to a design by Benjamin Bucknall. The building was largely gutted by incendiary bombs during World War II although some of the 1869 building remains as part of the Swansea campus of the University of Wales Trinity Saint David.After the war the school was moved to the Sketty area of Swansea where it subsequently became Bishop Gore Grammar school and briefly Bishop Gore Comprehensive School. It has been on its current Sketty site since 1952 with a large extension built in the 1970s and further Design and Technology extensions in the 1990s.

Similar places nearby