|Work hours||Add information|
BROWN CHAPEL A.M.E. ZION CHURCH LOWRYS, S.C.
CHURCH HISTORY 1866-1990
The beginning of Brown Chapel started after a white person gave a group of black worshipers a piece of land in Lowrys (formerly called Lowrysville), S.C. in 1866. The black people had been worshiping at Smith's Chapel United Methodist Church (now Capers Chapel United Methodist)
The piece of land was deeded to the Brown Chapel Methodist Church Trustees. The group decided to name the church after the first pastor whose name was Rev. Brown, and after the Church where they had worshiped before getting the land - Smith's Chapel. They named the Church Brown Chapel Methodist Brush Harbor. They wanted to be Methodist because they had been worshiping with the white Methodist church; therefore, the land was deeded to the trustees of Brown Chapel Methodist Church. It was not until later in 1867 that the church became a part of the AM.E. Zion Church and the South Carolina Conference, which was organized by Bishop J.J. Clinton, and Revs. L. C. Clinton (later Bishop) and O. J. Walker, a Chester native and member of Metropolitan AM.E. Zion Church.
The members first worshiped in a brush harbor and homes of the members. The first building was built mostly by the men of the Church, but the ladies also played a very important part because they worked real hard selling blackberries, eggs, and vegetables from their gardens to buy lumber and logs to build the church with.
There were also some white people who provided them with lumber and logs. As best as can be remembered this building was used until it was destroyed by fire in April 16, 1956. At the time the Church was destroyed by the fire, Rev. W.W. Wilson was the pastor. The trustees got real busy along with the pastor and members and the Church was rebuilt that same year. However, in October 1956 Rev. J. F. Baxter, Sr. was appointed the pastor at the Annual Conference.
As we progressed and time passed, the congregation wanted to add and do more. It was