Capital Tower located in Cardiff, Wales was the tallest structure in Wales, until 12 September 2008 when Meridian Quay in Swansea was topped out. Standing at to roof height, Capital Tower is slightly taller than Stadium House, which stands at to roof height, though inclusion of the antenna gives Stadium House a pinnacle height of.The foundations were built on the ruins of a 12th-century friary, much of which had still stood until 1955. These were completely cleared for the tower to be constructed, although it is probable that under modern planning laws this would not have been allowed. Completed in 1967 and providing 190000sqft of floor space, it was originally known as Pearl House.Originally, a job centre, bookshop and galleries were built on the lower floors, but in 1998 they were replaced by a new set of developments including cafe-bars, and the multi-storey car parks were re-clad. At this time the building received its current name, Capital Tower. The tower presently houses several key clients including Admiral Insurance; Government offices including those of the Secretary of State for Wales; Hilton Hotel; Tiger Tiger.