The Cathedral of Saint John Gualbert is the co-cathedral of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Altoona–Johnstown, located in Johnstown, Pennsylvania. It is also a contributing property in the Downtown Johnstown Historic District on the National Register of Historic Places.Architectural historyConstructionThe architects of St. John Gualbert Church were natives of Altoona, Louis and M. J. Beezer. Bricklayers, an architectural monthly published in Boston, stated at the time, "Constructively and artistically, this design offers a great deal of interest. As far as we can recollect at this moment, it is the only building of its kind in existence."The most unusual feature of the church's construction is its steel superstructure: almost 170000lb of steel were used to construct the foundation. Another 420000lb were used for the structure of the nave and roof. The prodigious amount of steel used—that is, about 590000lb—allowed the cross to be placed in its position at the highest point of the tower several days before the cornerstone was laid; the roof was completed before the foundation walls were even constructed. Construction on the church began on August 7, 1895, and was completed at a cost of $75,000. The cornerstone was laid on October 13, 1895.ExteriorThe cathedral building extends 66ft in width on Clinton Street and 124ft in length on Locust Street, and the main body of the church is 47ft tall. The 180ft high campanile on the right side of the facade was built in an Italianate style, with decorative details illustrating ecclesiastical ceremonies and traditions. The smaller, 104ft tall tower on the left houses the church's 3200lb bell, which once occupied the tower of an older church in Johnstown. The bell had survived a fall from its belfry during the 1889 Johnstown Flood, and was recast in 1890.