Central Elementary School is a historic school in Albemarle, North Carolina whose current main building opened in 1925 as Albemarle High School, and whose previous building (Albemarle Graded School) located next door was named to the National Register of Historic Places in 2015. Additions to the 1925 building were constructed in 1936 and a renovation and expansion completed in 2007. When the renovation was completed, Central Elementary moved from its original building next door. The renovation resulted in the Stanly County's school board being honored by Preservation North Carolina in 2008. The school has 561 students in grades pre-kindergarten to 5th grade and is SACS-accredited.History of the original buildingThe original Central School was built in 1900 at North Third Street and East North Street on the site of another building built in 1875. The school burned November 18, 1920 but was renovated and expanded.When a new high school opened in 1925 next door, the older building became Central Elementary School. Additions were made in 1952 and 1965. While the main entrance had faced North Street, the 1965 addition included a new entrance on Third Street.By 1990, the oldest building needed replacing. A new building next door was considered, but the decision was made to renovate and add to the Albemarle Middle School building already on that site. The old Central School building has been empty since students were moved to the renovated building next door in 2007. One proposal in 2009 was housing for the elderly, with the auditorium converted for cultural activities. As of 2011, the oldest section was still standing. The building and the 2-acre property was for sale. In December 2013, after several offers, the Stanly County School Board voted to sell the old building to the city for $150,000.