|Work hours||Add information|
|About||The Centre for Ecology & Rural Development – CERD – is an R&D, not-for-profit organization jointly promoted by the Pondicherry Science Forum and its sister organisation Tamil Nadu Science Forum in the year 1994.|
|Mission||CERD aims to provide Science and Technology based support to developmental and policy interventions organized to benefit the weaker sections of the society.|
Study the agro-ecological crisis and advocacy for alternative policies of agricultural development.
Develop sustainable and equitable alternatives for water management, soil fertility and pest management, and wasteland reclamation. This work includes technology development and transfer, capability building and organizational interventions.
Provide support to local planning efforts in primary production activities.
• European Economic Commission
• Public Works Department, Govt. of Pondicherry
• ARISE Organic Farmers Network, New Delhi
Promote People’s initiative and build local capabilities for effective primary health care.
Provide resource support to movements for advocacy on health policy issues
Develop technologies and methodologies for meaningful community participation and better effectiveness of healthcare, drinking water and sanitation programmes.
• Member, People’s Health Assembly, Dhaka
• Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Govt. of India.
• District Rural Development Agency, Pondicherry.
Promote credit cooperatives of poor women and help them evolve into enterprise networks.
Local area planning for employment generation through enterprise clusters. This involves feasibility studies, training, technology innovation and transfer, management support and networking with existing units and markets.
• Centre for Technology & Development, New Delhi.
• Entrepreneurship Development Institute of India (EDII) Ahmedabad.
• National Science & Technology Enterpreneurship Development Board, DST, Govt. of India
• Council for Advancement of Appropriate Rural Technology (CAPART), Ministry of Rural Development, Govt. of India.
Shaping IT to serve rural needs – creation of content and context
IT based improvement in quality of school education. Community health, local level planning for better livelihood options.
Fuel Efficient wood burning stoves & Biomass based biogas systems
Project Team : Ms.D.Hema/Mr.Muniyan/Raghu/Shoabana.
External Support: Prof. Lokras/Mr.Somasekhar, Dr.H.N.Chanakya, CST, IISc. Bangalore.
Watershed Management Project - Sedappatti.
Watershed Programme in Thadayampatti Watershed in Sedappatti block in Madurai district of Tamilnadu
System of Rice Intensification (SRI) - Standardisation of A Technology Package as an Alternative Approach for Small and Marginal Farmers to Have Increased and Sustainable Rice Productivity.
Tank Rehabilitation Project-Pondicherry
Programme Commenced in July 1999
Project Completion March 2008
1. The project was initiated with the European Union’s funding support in 1999 and their support lasted till 2004.
2. Seeing the success of the programme and peoples’ participation, the Government of Pondicherry decided to continue the programme with the involvement of the NGOs from 2005 onwards. The programme as such is extended up to March 2008.
3. The Steering Committee has already extended the project for another five years up to 2013 but this is awaiting administrative sanction from Govt. of India and for the time being the project is suspended.
4. CERD has formed about 32 Tank Associations, 2 cluster Associations so far, but was supporting 63 Tank Associations at the end of the project. .
5. CERD was instrumental in the initial programme design, methodology, writing of a manual etc. and also in setting up the pace and the participation of weaker sections like landless people, women, dalits etc.
Women’s Technology Park
Date of Start: June 2004.
Date of Completion: May 2007..
Project Team Hema, Muniyan, Ramesh, Soundar, Raghu
Objectives of the Project
1. Studying the gender dimensions of technology development and dissemination, including issues of technology choice and negotiation.
2. Documenting and acting as an information bank and access poi