|Work hours||Add information|
|About||The Centre for Urban Studies (CUS), Dhaka is a self-supporting independent non-profit research and training organization, registered under Society Registration Act, 1860, Government of Bangladesh. Established on May 13, 1972, CUS has evolved into a fully multi-disciplinary centre with specialists from the disciplines of aesthetics, administration, anthropology, architecture, demography, economics, education, geography, history, information technology, governance, housing, management, sociology, statistics and urban and regional planning. CUS is an Associate Member of CITYNET and the Local Government Institute of Training and Research (LOGOTRI), which has its headquarters in Yokohama, Japan. CUS is also an institutional of member of the Bangladesh Poribesh Andolon (BAPA).|
The main objectives of the Centre are:
· Initiate, promote, sponsor and organize scientific research on various dimensions of problems and issues pertaining to urbanization and development;
· Disseminate knowledge acquired through such research;
· Provide training in the field of urban and regional studies, planning, development and management; and
· Provide consultancy services pertaining to urban and regional planning and development.
The objectives of the Centre are pursued through a variety of activities such as; research, training, seminars, conferences, dialogues, advocacy, consultancy, exhibitions, field studies, library, urban information and data service and publications.
The Centre conducts basic and applied research on urban and regional issues. These are sponsored by the Centre itself or by national and international agencies. The Centre co-operates with universities, individual scholars and research institutions both within and outside the country on matters of research and other common professional interests.
The Centre offers training through lectures, seminars, workshops and field studies to its members and other interested personnel, on design and methodology of theoretical and empirical research related to urban and regional problems. Special workshops on important urban and regional problems are arranged where both academicians and practitioners in urban and regional affairs can participate. The Centre also collaborates with other national and international agencies in sponsoring training on urban and regional issues. The Centre has plans for offering certificates, diplomas and degrees on urban and regional studies in future.
# Seminars and Conferences
The Centre holds regular seminars where members participate in discussions related to urban and regional issues. Special seminars are also organized in which distinguished scholars and experts in urbanization are invited to lecture.
The Centre runs advocacy campaigns on its own or with other similar organizations involved in urban issues. CUS ran an advocacy for the urban poor for UNICEF for a year in 1992.
The Centre provides consultancy services pertaining to urban and regional problems to the government, semi-government, autonomous and private organizations and also to different international bodies on matters of mutual interest.
The Centre mainta
. Survey of Squatters in Bangladesh Cities (Dhaka, Chittagong & Khulna) : 1974
· Feasibility of Shopping Complex at Malibag, Dhaka : 1975
· Feasibility of Shopping Complex at Noyabazar, Dhaka : 1975
· Rural Urban Migration in Bangladesh : 1977
· Reading Habits in Dhaka City : 1977
· Socio-Economic Study of Demra Bastuhara Camp : 1977
· Inner City Slum: Suritola, Dhaka : 1977
· Survey of Bhasantek Squatter Resettlement Camp :1978
· The Urban Poor in Bangladesh : 1978-1979
· Socio-economic Survey in Khulna : 1979
· Evaluation and Performance of Thana level Cottage Industries : 1980
· Urban Housing and Shelter Process in Seven Bangladesh Cities: Study in Dhaka, Chittagong, Khulna, Sylhet, Chandpur, Patuakhali and Thakurgaon. : 1980
· Population and Migration Characteristics of Khulna City : 1980
· Rural – Rural Urban Migration in Bangladesh : 1980
· The People of Dhaka : 1980
· Survey of Housing in a Bangladesh Village : 1981
· Slums in Dhaka City: A Socio-Economic Study for Feasibility of Slum Clearance and Urban Renewal Programme in Dhaka City : 1982
· Bhasantek Resettlement Study : 1985
· Socio-economic and Demographic Study of 5 District Towns of Bangladesh: Noakhali, Sylhet, Rangpur, Patuakhali and Tangail. : 1985
· Rural-Urban Dynamics: Household Economic Strategies, Migration Agricultural Development in Bangladesh : 1986
· Survey of Slums and Squatters in Dhaka Municipal Area : 1987 Socio-economic Profile of Dattapara (Ershad Nagar) Camp : 1987
· Survey of Infill Plots in Mirpur Planned Area : 1987
· A Composite Score Map of Socio-economic Development of Bangladesh. : 1988
· Survey of Slums in Dhaka Metropolitan Area : 1989
· Study of Urban Poverty in Bangladesh-Phase 1 :1989-90
· Upazila Town Master Plan Preparation: Goshairhat