Church House is a building located in High Barnet (also known as Chipping Barnet) and is a venue for a variety of different community activities and functions. Church House is also the name of the charity that operates the building as a not-for-profit. The building was first opened in 1907, and has been operating as a charity since 1920.HistoryIn 1679 James Ravenscroft, a wealthy benefactor in Barnet, conveyed by deed 3½ acres of land at Stebenheath, now Stepney, to the Chancel Estate Trustees – a group of representatives of each of the churches in the local Parish who were entrusted with the Ravenscroft Estate. Ravenscroft proposed that the land should be sold to raise funds to help maintain Ravenscroft Chapel – a chapel he had erected inside Barnet Parish Church in memory of his father, Thomas Ravenscroft, who died in 1630.In the course of time the land at Stepney was developed and built on, and its eventual sale yielded a sum far greater than could be used for the purposes originally cited by Ravenscroft. The Chancel Estate Trustees therefore decided that the remaining funds should be used for other projects, and among those projects was Church House.The first plans for Church House were drawn up in 1897, and building work finally commenced in 1906.A committee to oversee the management of Church House was formed soon after the building's completion later that same year. This committee consisted of the Rector, licensed clergy, the churchwardens, a Chancel Estate Trustee, as well as three members of the Congregation of Barnet Parish Church, who were selected by the other members of the committee.The committee oversaw the official opening of Church House on 11 February 1907.