The Church of Our Lady of the Scapular-St. Stephen is a Roman Catholic parish church in the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of New York, located at 149 East 28th Street between Third and Lexington Avenues in the Rose Hill neighborhood of Manhattan, New York City. It was established in the 1980s when the parish of the Church of Our Lady of the Scapular of Mount Carmel was merged into the parish of the Church of St. Stephen the Martyr. In January 2007, it was announced by the Archdiocese of New York that the Church of the Sacred Hearts of Mary and Jesus, located at 307 East 33rd Street, was to be merged into Our Lady of the Scapular-St. Stephen, then, in November 2014, the Archdiocese announced that the Church of Our Lady of the Scapular-St. Stephen was one of 31 neighborhood parishes which would be merged into other parishes. Our Lady of the Scapular-St. Stephen was to be merged into the Church of Our Saviour at 59 Park Avenue.Parish historyThe parish of St. Stephen the Martyr was formed in 1848 and was originally located on Madison Avenue. The parish's most famous pastor was the controversial Dr. Edward McGlynn, (who had served as assistant pastor). Known for his radical political beliefs, he was pastor until he was removed from the ministry by the Archbishop in 1887.