The Church of the Sacred Hearts of Mary and Jesus is the original name of the former Roman Catholic parish church which once housed today's Roman Catholic parish of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary - St. Stephen in the Diocese of Brooklyn historically serving Italian Americans, that was demolished. The church was first established on Warren Street in 1882 until a permanent church could be built by the Italians on President Street off of Van Brunt Street in 1885. In 1906 a new larger church was constructed for the congregation on Degraw and Hicks Streets, Carroll Gardens, New York City where it remained in use until plans for the construction of the Brooklyn Queens Expressway forced the congregation to vacate the building and move into St. Stephen RC Church located at 125 Summit Street in on December 7, 1941 creating the combined parish of Sacred Hearts of Jesus and Mary - St. Stephen.DescriptionThe Catholic Mission of the Italian Colony of the City of Brooklyn was established in 1882 by Fr. Joseph Fransioli (sometimes spelled Francioli) in St. Peter’s Church (corner of Warren and Hicks Streets). It was the first parish established specifically for Italian immigrants on Long Island.The church was opened in May 1885 on President Street off of Van Brunt Street but by 1900 a new structure was needed. Mother Cabrini came to the parish during this time and in 1892 with her sisters established a school for Italian immigrant children in the parish. This was under the direction of her order. This school, St. Charles' School, was opened within an adaptively reused former Moravian church on Van Brunt Street purchased by Bishop McDonnell of the Diocese of Brooklyn. After the 1906 completion of the new church, Fr. Vogel kept the church on President Street as the Chapel of St. Charles, apparently derivative of Mother Cabrini's school.