We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…
Colonel Summers Park

Colonel Summers Park

1801 SE Taylor St, Portland (OR), 97214, United States

Get Directions

Add phone number

Now CLOSED
Work hours
MO 05:00 – 22:00 SA 05:00 – 22:00
TU 05:00 – 22:00 SU 05:00 – 22:00
WE 06:00 – 22:00
TH 05:00 – 22:00
FR 05:00 – 22:00
Description Colonel Summers Park is a city park in the Southeast Portland, Oregon neighborhood of Buckman. The park was created in 1921 and was originally called Belmont Park for Belmont Street which runs east-west on its boundary. In 1938 it was renamed in honor of Colonel Owen Summers, who as an Oregon legislator, introduced a bill that combined the state militia units into the Oregon National Guard. Colonel Summers was the commanding officer of a volunteer regiment in the Spanish–American War, which served in forty-two different engagements during the war. The park includes recreation areas and a community garden added in 1975.Amenitiesaccessible picnic area, basketball court, paths – paved, picnic shelter, picnic site – reservable, picnic tables, playground, softball field, statue or public art, tennis backboard, tennis court, and volleyball court.Historical InformationOriginally called Belmont Park, this site was renamed in 1938 in honor of Colonel Owen Summers, a former member of the Oregon Legislature. Summers was the commanding officer of the Second Oregon Volunteers Regiment in the Spanish-American War. He also introduced the bill which later created the Oregon National Guard.In the southwest corner of this park there is a huge rock, which came from Kelly Butte. This rock holds a bas relief image of Colonel Summers on a bronze plaque.
  • 1801 SE Taylor St, Portland (OR), 97214, United States
  • Get Directions