A new, fourth City Hall in Copenhagen, Denmark, was built between Gammeltorv and Nytorv in 1728 on the foundations of its predecessor which had been destroyed in the first Great Fire of Copenhagen earlier that same year. In 1795 it was itself destroyed in the second Great Fire of Copenhagen and later replaced by the new combined city hall and courthouse at Nytorv which was completed in 1815.BuildingThe new city hall was built by Johan Conrad Ernst and Johan Cornelius Krieger and completed already the same year. Seven bays wide, the building consisted of two storeys and a cellar, under a mansard roof topped by a ridge turret. The facade was decorated with statues, columns and a bust of King Christian VI above the royal coat of arms. The rear side of the building had fewer decorations but also featured the royal coat of arms flanked by that of Copenhagen on either side. The rear of the building also had an open gallery similar to that of the old city hall.UseThe city hall was used by the city council and also housed the administration as well as the city's fire guard and police force. As had been the case at least since 1619, the new city hall also served as jail. There were cells both in the cellar, on the ground floor and on first floor.