The Debrecen Reformed Theological University, in English translation also known as Debrecen University of Reformed Theology is originated from the Debrecen Reformed College of historical importance . The University is one of the Hungarian centres for Protestant theological training, with a major interest in training ministers for the Reformed Church in Hungary. In September 2011 the Ferenc Kölcsey Teacher Training College of the Reformed Church integrated into the University.HistoryDebrecen Reformed CollegeTheology was taught in the Debrecen Reformed College right from its foundation in 1538. In a document from the general synod of the Reformed Church is talking about the high expectations to theological training in the institute:"As the schools are gardens of the church … the languages, Latin and Greek grammar, dialectics, rhetorics, and the free arts should be taught, these are necessary for theological studies. Then theology and the Scriptures are also to be presented to the students…"The college educated generations of ministers to the Calvinist parishes in Hungary and Transylvania in the last almost five centuries.Faculty of Reformed TheologyThe Hungarian Parliament – based on the existing higher education of the Reformed College – founded the Hungarian Royal University of Debrecen in 1912, which was settled in the building of the College. One of the three sections of this new institute was the Faculty of Reformed Theology.. In the following decades the University had various names but the theological training remained within the university until the rule of the Communist Party.Academy of TheologyIn 1949, in the first year of the Communist Regime in Hungary the theological faculty separated from the University of Debrecen, and continued as Debrecen Reformed Theological Academy, funded by the Reformed Church in Hungary.