|About||Discovery Charter School strives to provide a dynamic, community-centered alternative from the traditional public education model.|
|Mission||To provide a challenging, rigorous, safe, nurturing, and inspiring learning environment to Newark students by teaching them to learn through curiosity, creativity, and discipline in a multi-age setting with an interdisciplinary curriculum.|
|Description||Discovery Charter School provides a dynamic, community-centered alternative from the traditional public education model. We develop the whole person, respect the various learning styles, interests, and abilities of each student, and help each to determine his or her role and responsibility within the learning community. As a result, 4th-8th grade students become lifelong learners, critical and creative thinkers, effective communicators, and good citizens.|
• Discovery’s academic performance on the NJASK from 2011-2014 was equal to or above the 80th percentile — extremely high when compared with its peer schools, and equally successful when compared to schools across the state.
• In 2013, JerseyCAN -- a nonprofit organization that advocates for a high-quality education -- ranked Discovery as a “Top Ten” school for Performance Gains.
• Discovery’s initial execution of the PARCC exam in 2015 resulted in 8th grade Math scores and 5th through 8th grade English Language Arts scores exceeding state averages at a time when many peer schools struggled.
• In 2015, Bruce Baker, a Professor in Rutgers Graduate School of Education, ranked Discovery as one of the top 50 New Jersey public district and charter schools according to efficiency and performance. Indeed, we were one of only two charter schools that made it to the top of Professor Baker’s list, and the highest performing charter school in New Jersey overall — placing 9th in the rankings. The only other charter school that made it in the top fifty placed 50th.
• In 2016, National School Choice week recognized Discovery with its School Choice Leadership Award in recognition of our tireless dedication toward providing all of our students with access to effective education options.