The District Council of Kimba is a local government area located on the northern Eyre Peninsula in South Australia. The district is mostly agricultural in nature, with the township of Kimba being the focal point of the district. With a number of towns positioned close to the Gawler Ranges, the district receives a modest amount of attention from tourists, who also stop by to see Kimba's Big Galah.HistoryPastoralists began colonising the area that would become the district in the early 1900s without many essential facilities such as road and water supplies. In 1913 the Port Lincoln Railway was extended to a new siding named 'Kimba', and two years later, the town of Kimba was officially proclaimed.With new settlers to the area, the need for basic facilities was growing, the Kimba Vigilance Committee was established to lobby for the provision of these facilities. In 1925, the District Council of Kimba was established.Since 1925, the district has grown in size, with a number of areas being added during 1936-1937, and again in 1967.