|Work hours||Add information|
Dunfermline Bowling Club was established in 1852.
Coaching is available to new members on a Saturday morning.
Our season runs from April to October.
A group of twelve men met on 16th April 1852 in the George Inn (junction of High St & Randolph St.) to institute Dunfermline Bowling Club. They obtained the necessary funds & leased a piece of garden ground at the top of Woodhead St. (North Chalmers St.)
The green was enlarged in 1858 but this was not sufficient to cope with the increased membership so they investigated in the possibility to move to a new site. Several sites were inspected & it was decided that Scotland Park (the area south of Abbey Park Place) would be best. The Abbey Park Bowling Club, formed in 1855 & sometimes known as the "South Club", already had a green on the lawn of Abbey Park House (headquarters of the Carnegie Dunfermline Trust). This site was owned back then by the Bank Of Scotland & they granted a lease for the lower half of the garden to be made into a bowling green if the two clubs amalgamated. This happened on 24th August 1859.
In 1862 the clubhouse was built by a firm from Carnoustie. This is a listed building which can still be seen today.