"There can't be good living where there is not good drinking." - Benjamin Franklin
DRINK BACK IN TIME
In the late 1870s, Toronto had one drinkery for every 70 citizens. They were located close to factories, including a warehouse that once stood where we are today.
Established in 1877 by our namesake, D.W. Alexander, an esteemed dealer in leather and hides, the business grew to become the largest sole-leather trade in Western Canada.
In those days, rugged but well-dressed gentlemen from the factories and warehouses would congregate at the nearest drinkery to celebrate the end of a long day with a hard drink. While the nature of the employment in the area may have changed, the thirst for good, old-fashioned after-work cocktails and camaraderie has not.
With a nod to the past and an eye on the present, our establishment echoes the industrial character of D.W. Alexander’s era and fuses it with a contemporary style.
We think he’d like what we’ve done with the place. Drink up, friends.