ABCs is an engaging discussion-based "class" to learn and talk about your parenting experience in a safe and friendly environment. The curriculum is evidence-based and trauma-informed.*
- A free dinner will be served promptly at 5:30 in the cafeteria
- "Class" will begin at 6 and end by 8.
- There will be "participant prizes" at every class, including tickets to the pool/theater/aquarium/Port of Play...you'll want to win! :-)
Parents and their 5-8 year old children (in classes designed for each, separately,) will learn through age appropriate activities. There'll be arts and crafts, stories and games, and other fun for the children, and “grown-up” discussion and problem solving strategies to alleviate parenting stress for the adults. Class topics include:
Strategies for effective problem-solving.
- Ways to establish discipline through family rules, rewards, and alternatives to spanking/yelling.
- Tips for helping children to manage their own behavior.
- Tools to build personal power and self-worth in yourself and your children.
- Strategies for effective stress and anger management.
Ways to promote school success
- Both parents and their children will learn new skills that will create a more nurturing home environment for everyone.
This opportunity is only offered once a year, and is generously funded by the Oregon Parenting Education Collaborative, and coordinated by Northwest Parenting in partnership with Astoria School District.
Darcy Rose Cronin will be leading the parent discussion
Lori Honl will be engaging the kids in activities
*As a personal note from Darcy, my whole family will be participating in the class, and I truly believe that this curriculum can/will change the world one parent and family at a time. In my experience, all families experience some level of stress and trauma on a daily basis (my own family included). It is my sincere hope that every participant in this "class," or really facilitated discussion group, will feel supported and nurtured as we learn together how we can each be "our own best parent."
Lastly, please help spread the word by inviting any parents you know. A quick registration is required, please call Darcy at 503-325-8673 x2 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to register today!!!