Colorado Authors’ League 76th Award Nominees, from 12 categories, judged by Southwest Writers of New Mexico, published their books in 2017 to wide acclaim. And so we honor them at the 2018 Awards Banquet in May. But before we announce the winners, Tattered Cover, Book Bar and Vintage Theater in partnership with the Colorado Theater Guild will host the authors who will share their work with you.
Colorado has produced numerous amazing theater actors, directors, producers and playwrights. The Tony Award itself is named for Denver native Antoinette Perry, an actress and director who also co-founded the American Theatre Wing. Perry was a graduate of Denver’s East High School before she headed to New York to follow in her family’s stage actors’ footsteps. This year’s award honors the late Mary Coyle Chase, a longtime Colorado Authors’ League (CAL) member, who wrote the Pulitzer Prize-winning stage play Harvey in 1943. The play won its first Tony in 1948, and another in 1970. In honor of Coyle Chase’s achievement, this year’s award categories include outstanding screenplay and sustained achievement in stage play creation.
Come see this year's Colorado Author League Award Nominees in the Feature Articles and Essays categories. Authors will share a segment of their nominated works.
- Keepers Return, by Lou Dean, of Dinosaur, in All Creatures (Guideposts).
- Plant Internets and other Botanical Wonders, by R. Gary Raham, of Wellington, in Colorado Gardener.
- Good Dogs!, by Jen Reeder, of Durango, in Just Labs.
- No Bad Bears, by Mary Taylor Young, of Castle Rock, in Colorado Outdoors.
- Soccer in Heaven, by Jon Ackerman, of Parker, in SportsSpectrum.com.
- Mama’s Angel Soup, by Lou Dean, of Dinosaur, in Angels on Earth (Guideposts).
- Never for Sale: Listening (or not) to the Language of the Land, by Page Lambert, of Golden, in Landscape Magazine.
- 12 Truths about My Life with Bell’s Palsy, by Pam Moore, of Boulder, in Longreads.
For more information, check out our website: http://www.bookbardenver.com/event/colorado-authors-league-writing-awards-nominee-readings