Author and editor Bill Thorness shares his latest travel guide, Cycling the Pacific Coast: The Complete Guide from Canada to Mexico.
The Pacific Coast route is the most popular bike touring route in the U.S., according to Mountaineers Books' non-profit partner, the Adventure Cycling Association. And for 33 years, our very own Bicycling the Pacific Coast was the most popular guidebook to this venerable route--until now! Cycling the Pacific Coast continues the trusted legacy with an all-new, completely re-ridden, and fully comprehensive guidebook from Bill Thorness, featuring the most current, up-to-date beta on this amazing route.
Cycling the Pacific Coast is organized in five sections--Washington, Oregon, Northern California, Central California, and Southern California--and is useful to riders who plan to do the trip as one epic ride, or break it up to peddle sections at a time. Features include:
- Suggested itineraries for the entire ride, or for one- and two-week trips
- Logistics for getting to/from ride sections
- Airport and train-station connections in all major cities (Vancouver, Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Los Angeles, and San Diego)
- Alternate routes to take on Vancouver Island (Canada), Washington's Olympic Peninsula, and Northern California's "Lost Coast"
- Interesting and fun side trip destinations in 5 cities, on 2 islands, and in 2 wine country regions
New bike tourers will find equipment information, packing advice, and safety tips, among other helpful trip suggestions. And all riders will find the guidance to experience the trip of a lifetime.