Get hands-on in this interactive workshop, looking at the current trends of fermentation in both sourdough starters, fermented fruit sodas and kombucha. Originating in ancient times, fermenting has seen a resurgence within Australia recently due to its health benefits which can include boosting your immune system and easing digestive problems. Fermented food and drinks adds flavour, probiotics and can boost the nutritional value of certain foods, increasing their vitamin richness.
The workshop will include:
* Starter basics – how to grow your own and care for it
Cornbread – how to make this from your own starter – demonstration of recipe
* Pancakes – make your own pancake batter and cook your own
* SCOBY basics – (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) kombucha starter, origins of the SCOBY and why do you need one and how to look after it
* Carbonation – bottling to create carbonated kombucha and sodas
* Ginger Bugs (starter for fruit sodas) - how to make one and create your own sodas
* Mead (honey-based alcohol) - how to make your own mead from raw honey and berries
Tastings include – corn bread, pancakes, kombucha, seasonal fruit soda and mead. Take away kits include a sourdough starter, SCOBY, bottle, steriliser and jar for flavoured kombucha.
This workshop is part of the Hampton Festival weekend on 19-20 May.