Join us for our Shred event on Saturday, May 12 for free document shredding, or to participate in backyard composting and rain barrel workshops. Advance registration for workshops is required; no registration needed for document shredding. Registration forms and additional details can be found at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/Outreach.
Charles County Government and the University of Maryland Extension staff are offering one-hour workshops for rain barrels and composting. The first rain barrel and compost bin workshops begin at 9:30 a.m.
• Free, secure, on-site shredding services available from 9 a.m. to noon.
• Bring up to five boxes (per vehicle) of personal documents for shredding and recycling.
• Event is for Charles County residents only.
• For more information, call the Department of Public Works’ Environmental Resources Division, 301-932-3599 or 301-870-2778.
Rain Barrel Workshop
• Take home a rain barrel and learn proper in-home installation techniques, practical uses for rain barrels, and how to reduce the impact of runoff on local waterways.
• Become eligible for a stormwater remediation fee credit.
• Advance registration is required. Register at go.umd.edu/ccrainb, or for more information, call Erica Hahn at 301-396-5237 or Jackie Takacs at 240-393-6508.
• Registration deadline is Monday, May 7.
• In this hands-on workshop, participants will learn the basics of home composting. Registrants can receive a free plastic GEOBIN® or get instructions on making a wire bin at home.
• Registration is required. Register at compostworkshop.eventbrite.com.
• For more information, call Department of Public Works’ Environmental Resources Division, at 301-932-3569 or Luke Gustafson at 301-934-5403.
• Registration deadline is Tuesday, May 1.
Citizens with special needs may contact the Maryland Relay Service at 711, or Relay Service TDD: 800-735-2258.