“ DEBATE IS ANGULAR, CONVERSATION CIRCULAR AND RADIANT OF THE UNDERLYING UNITY ”
- Amos Bronson Alcott.
1) Motion for the preliminary rounds will be posted on this event beforehand.
2) Motion for the final round will be disclosed only an hour before the commencement of the championship round.
• DATE: 14th April, 2018 (Saturday)
• CRITERIA OF PARTICIPATION:
1) Any school student or college student under 26 years can take part in this event.
2) Participants will be allowed for participation only after providing valid identity cards of respective institutions.
3) Each team will consist of two members- cross college/ cross school/ cross college-school teams are allowed apart from the usual.
*** RULES ***
1) Participants can speak in either of English, Hindi or Bengali medium. But when one chooses any one language then he/she must continue with that chosen medium only ( you are permitted to change to vernacular in case of using quotations but this will be subject to scrutiny and should be relevant to the context of the motion of debate).
2) Every speaker will get maximum 4 minutes(3+1) to present his/her opinion. Each speaker will get a warning bell from the event coordinator after 3 minutes and after that the participant will get 1 minute more to wrap up the proceedings. In case the time slot is crossed there will be repeated alarms and the speaker will be stopped before completion.
3) In a team, if one chooses “For The Motion”, then another partner gets to choose “Against The motion” and VICE-VERSA.
4) After each speaker finishes with his/her speech, there will be a Rebuttal Session.
i) REBUTTAL is form of evidence that is presented to contradict or nullify other evidence that has been presented by an adverse party. It’s an informal process by which statements designed to refute or negate specific arguments put forward by opponents are challenged.
ii) By this process, any one from the participants, irrespective of FOR/ AGAINST , the audience and even the judges (provided they feel so) can question the speaker. Second rebuttal session will be allowed keeping in mind the merit of the answer of first rebuttal and the merit of the rebuttal in question and also the speech in question.
iii) An opposition will get just one chance to question the speaker and the speaker too gets a single chance to clarify. On the other hand the speaker can also choose not to answer the question from the opposition, but in that case he/she will lose points in the Rebuttal Category. No heckling from both parties will be entertained.
iv) In addition, participants in rebuttal session are requested not to take out books/props etc . from their bags or at all carry them to the stage. All such possessions are inadmissible in the proceedings.
5) A speaker is forbidden from using Non-Parliamentary language. Although quecards are allowed , carrying papers up to the podium and reading out a majority from it is thoroughly discouraged.
*** NO RELIGION or COMMUNITY SENTIMENTS should be hurt by anyone's speech ***
• In the event of dearth of participants, teams can be broken up into individual participants subject to such situation.
• Provided an individual is unable to find a team member, he/she can register as a single participant. In this case however, the organisers will try to pair up the individual with another single participant provided he/she is willing to do the same in the first place. If that doesn’t happen then the individual will have to go TURN-COURT.
PS: Rules are subject to change without prior information (if needed). The decision of the event coordinators and the judges panel will be final in regards to all the issues pertaining to the event.
Satarupa Das (7890149152)
Annwesha Bhattacharjee (8013897532)