The José Díaz-Balart Telemundo Internship Fund provides financial support to Georgetown University students whose background or experience, when evaluated holistically, suggests that they contribute to the diversity of the Georgetown community and could make similar contributions during a summer internship. Factors which may be considered include a student’s socioeconomic, cultural and/or family background (i.e., first-generation of first-in-family to attend college, parents’ level of education and income, region of residence, high school attended), personal experiences and challenges, and/or demonstrated ability to develop and support diversity and cultural understanding. The funding will be used to provide financial support to selected students who have secured an unpaid, summer internship in the field(s) of: politics, media, government, public service, and journalism. The Fund will provide a one-time scholarship of $3,000.
Recipients Must Agree To:
- Participate in a one-time gathering with donor, José Díaz-Balart.
- Be willing to collaborate with GU Politics digital media staff to capture their summer experience through a variety of social media platforms.
- Provide a written and/or video reflection at the conclusion of their summer internship as to what they learned, skills gained, and new experiences made possible as a result of the scholarship.
- Students must be current Georgetown students who will be returning to classes for the Fall 2018 semester.
- Students must have secured an unpaid, summer internship for summer 2018. The offer must be in writing from the employer.
- The internship must be in the fields of politics, media, government, public service and/or journalism.
Applications will be due on April 21st, with final selections made by April 30th.
In addition to the application, students must submit (via the application form) the following items by 5:00pm Eastern on April 21st:
- Copy of your internship offer (in writing)
- Unofficial Georgetown transcript
- Letter of Recommendation