History is quite literally carved in stone at Graceland Cemetery—but many of the stories are buried deep.
Come with Atlas Obscura Society Chicago and learn the stories hidden in this historic cemetery, from the lonesome death of Barton Edsall (buried the day of the Great Chicago Fire), the tangled history of the eerie "Statue of Death," and an unmarked Revolutionary War widow to the first female American spy, Charles Dickens' no-good brother, and many of the city's early movers and shakers. Many of the masterful gravestones were designed by the city's greatest architects.
Join author, historian, and tour guide Adam Selzer of Mysterious Chicago for an informative, engaging, and entertaining tour of Graceland's remarkable artwork and endlessly fascinating stories, some of which have been buried in dusty newspaper archives for over a century. Don't leave your curiosity unquenched!
- The event will run rain, shine, or snow.
- Meet Field Agent Adam Selzer inside the cemetery entrance, at the northeast corner of Clark St. and Irving Park Rd. A short talk will be given at the start, but the majority of the event will be a walking tour on the roads around the cemetery.
- The tour is approximately 2 miles.
- This tour is family friendly but parents have to keep an eye on their kids.
- The event has limited ADA access. Pavement will be available, but the tour might also stray off the beaten path to walk on the grass and through small woods.
- Wear your walking shoes and bring your cameras!
- Street parking is available on Clark and Irving Park Rd. Parking is not permitted inside the cemetery, or you can take the #22 Clark Bus to the cemetery entrance.
- This ticket is non-refundable, but you can transfer it by following this handy Eventbrite tutorial. (https://www.eventbrite.com/support/articles/en_US/How_To/how-to-update-your-ticket-registration-information?lg=en_US)
Email Adam Selzer at email@example.com
Stay connected! Subscribe to the Atlas Obscura Society Chicago newsletter (www.atlasobscura.com/newsletters) and join our Atlas Obscura Society Chicago Facebook Group for a first glimpse at upcoming events.
Advance ticket sales only. All ticket sales are final. No refunds or exchanges.