April is Move More Month- Join us for a Walking Challenge!
Join us in moving more and challenge yourself to move 30 minutes for 30 days as we celebrate National Move More Month! Stop by the front desk and pick up your weekly tracker to participate in the challenge. Those participating in the event are eligible for a prize and bragging rights! So get ready to get moving!
Kicks off on National walking Day: April 4th*
*The American Heart Association will be at the Downtown YMCA at 11:30 AM and at Kerasotes at 4:30 PM to help you get moving!
Research has shown that walking at least 30 minutes a day can help you:
• Reduce your risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
• Improve your blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile
• Maintain your body weight and lower the risk of obesity
• Enhance your mental well-being
• Reduce your risk of osteoporosis
• Reduce your risk of breast and colon cancer
• Reduce your risk of non-insulin dependent (type 2) diabetes
• There really are so many benefits for such a simple activity!
If you're looking for an easy way to add activity to your day, walking could be right up your alley. It's easy, effective and you can do it pretty much anywhere.
• Just start walking. Begin with a few minutes each day and add more from there as you get into better shape.
• Find ways to make it fun, whether that's changing your route, inviting friends or even listening to your favorite podcast - anything you can enjoy on the move.
• If you're too busy to carve out time for a longer walk, split it up into shorter sessions that work for you.
For more information on how your family can live a healthy, active life, visit http://springfieldymca.org/