We use cookies to personalise content and ads, to provide social media features and to analyse our traffic. Read more…

St. Mark's Day in Korčula

Korčula Tourist Board
Event organized by Korčula Tourist Board

Get Directions

#var:page_name# cover

St. Mark is a patron saint of Korčula town for centuries. Procession of three confraternities in Korčula town strats at 6:30 PM around the old town of Korčula, carring the "torci" - wax candles, some of which weigh up to 73 kilos.
They are given names like "Zero", "Primo" etc depending on the weigh.

There are three confraternities in Korčula town:
The Confraternity of All Saints (founded in 1301), the St. Rocco Confraternity, founded in 1575 and the confraternity of St. Michael, which was founded in 1603.
During the Holly week in Korčula the three brotherhoods colourfully process through the town - All Saints, Saint Rocco, and Saint Michael. Their costumes and religious regalia are especially impressive.

The Church and Confraternity of All Saints is steeped in the town's oldest traditions. The Church was built at the beginning of the 15th c. on the site of an older church (10th c/13th c.), which was the first cathedral of the bishopric (1300); the oldest Korčulan confraternity - All Saints or the Confraternity of Good Death - was founded there in 1301. Icons from the Greek island of Crete are exhibited in the Icon Collection. They were brought to Korčula by the Korčulan war galley which took part in the battle between Venice and the Turks for the island of Crete (Candian wars). The battle ended with the defeat of Venice and the general evacuation of the Venetian garrison, administration and priests from the island. Opposite the church entrance, there is the entrance to the house of the Confraternity of All Saints. The reliefs on the wall ( above the entrance door) depict the brothers of the fraternity from 1301. The photos are a reminder of the annual gatherings and processions of the brothers.

Numerous valuable art objects, statues and paintings can be found in the house of the St. Rocco Confraternity, founded in 1575.

The Church of St. Michael (1408/1615), opposite the Town Hall, is characterised by its pleasant facade and beautiful bell-tower "on distaff".
Photo by Neven Faznić

The church is connected with the house of the confraternity of St. Michael, which was founded in 1603.

The hall of the confraternity has exhibits evoking the rich history and high aesthetic criteria of Korčulans over the centuries.