Mambo Fridays is *the* Mambo dance social of downtown Washington DC! Headlining this week is DC favorite DJ Darwin Peña! World-famous dance teacher and DC Capital Congress Director Shaka Brown will be sharing with us a classic mambo workshop for your serious learning pleasure! Join the East Coast's legendary man, Mr. Go Go Earl Rush, and the Academy's Cleve R. Wootson Jr.. as we get down and MAMBO in the Nation's Capital this coming Mambo Fridays!
18+ to dance, 21+ to drink, DRESS TO BE STUNNING, DRESS TO IMPRESS! A night of mambo, in downtown DC!!
* WE ARE GOING PAST 2AM!!!! This is a real dance party!!!!
* $15 for classic mambo workshop and entrance!
* $10 for entrance only, before 11pm with RSVP (press going)!
* $13 after 11pm.
* DETAILS *
* Classic mambo lesson by world-famous dance teacher and DC Capital Congress Director Shaka Brown from 9:30-10:30pm!
* DJ Darwin Peña will be handing down the smack down! An old school jam - 95% classic mambo, guaguanco, salsa all night in the main dance hall!
* 1 main dance hall and 4 smaller, more intimate dance spaces for a serious mambo voyage!! Dance party madness!!!
* $15 for one workshop and entrance!
* $10 entrance (with check-in) BEFORE 11PM (DOES NOT INCLUDE CLASS)
* $13 Entrance after 11pm
* 18+ to dance, 21+ to drink!
* Dress to impress!
* Drink specials all night
* Happy hour prices till midnight! Kitchen closes at 1am!
"The word mambo was likely being used in the New World as soon as the Bakongo people arrived in the sixteenth century... basically, mambo means a complex of things involving communication - all of which, in traditional Bantu culture, involved singing.
Arsenio Rodriguez, who claimed to have invented the modern musical style called mambo, and whose grandfather was Congo, told Cuban musicologist Odilio Urfe: "The word mambo is African, of the Congo dialect. One singer says to the other: abre cuto güiri mambo, that is: 'open your ear and listen to what I'm going to tell you.'" Or, in the argot of the 1980s: word up." - Ned Sublette, Cuba and its Music.
See you this Friday, KEEP ON DANCING!!!