This event is ultimately an effort to educate and increase awareness related to addiction and co-occurring mental health issues. Focus points at the event include:
1. Viewing addiction as a chronic, treatable illness… as opposed to a crime.
2. Education on Opiate Overdose & Emergency Response.
3. Information/Education on the family dynamics associated with addictive disorders, including resources on when, where and how to seek help.
4. Immersive Community Q & A session with the panel of speakers and other experts
5. Local vendors and displays.
Dale Kerns, Candidate for U.S. Senate 2018 and Sponsor of the Bill: Addiction is Not a Crime which aims to make treatment more accessi...ble for those charged with non-violent drug related crimes. For more information on Dale and his campaign please visit www.dalekerns.com
Paul Fletcher, former Philadelphia Phillies pitcher and person in long term recovery. Share his experience in his addiction and how he gained his path to recovery.
Jacki Smiro, lost her 17 year old son RJ in 2008 to an accidental prescription drug overdose. In 2014 she worked to start a chapter of NOPE in our schools.To date she has spoken to over 20,000 students. Also participated in round table discussions with State and local government leaders and testified before the Republican House Committee advocating for change and issues around the opioid epidemic. Most recently formed Live4RJ. They provide community based solutions to assist those affected by addiction. They have a Parent Grief Support Group in Southern Chester County, opened a Clubhouse for those in recovery in Parkesburg and still looking to do more!