Join with other homeschool families for a day filled with exploring, experimenting and building in conjunction with “Playing Around: Engineering and Toys” exhibition. Different activities will be offered throughout the day.
Thursday, November 30, 10 a.m.–3 p.m. Free with Museum admission.
We’re trying out a new schedule! Simply drop in throughout the day at a variety of hands-on activities as you explore the science and engineering of toys.
Playing Around Exhibition – 2nd Floor
- Balance Toys: Practice finding the center of gravity as you make a whimsical balancing toy. 11:00 – 12:45
- Tops: Experiment with weight, balance, and rotational inertia to make a spinning top. 1:15 – 3:00
Classroom – 1st Floor
- Gearing Up: Look inside toys to find hidden mechanical gears and build simple gear machines. 11:00 – 12:45
- Cardboard Linkages: Combine links and pivots to create a mechanical toy. 1:15 – 3:00
Community Room – 1st Floor
- Pinball Machines: Build contraptions for the museum’s pinball machines. 11:00 – 2:00
Discovery Lab – 2nd Floor
- Straw Rockets: Make a miniature rocket toy powered by air pressure. 11:00 – 12:00
- Kaleidoscopes: Use mirrors to make surprisingly pleasing symmetrical art. 12:30 – 1:30
- Batteries and Motors: Explore electric circuits as you make lights shine and motors spin. 2:00 – 3:00